PROCEDURES FOR EXPENDITURE OF FY 2020-2021 CLASSROOM INSTRUCTIONAL SUPPLY FUNDS THROUGH THE CLASSWALLET PORTALPURPOSE: To establish procedures for the proper expenditure for funds allocated to purchase instructional, classroom, or technology-related materials or supplies that directly benefit students. SCOPE: These procedures apply to all Birmingham City School Board employees who are allotted classroom instructional supply funds through the ClassWallet portal. These procedures also apply to those individuals not allocated funds but are responsible for placing orders for items not available through the main ClassWallet vendors. PROCEDURE:
- Classroom instructional supply funds in an amount determined by the State Department of Education will be allocated to teachers and other certificated personnel for the purchase of instructional materials and supplies. The allocated funds will be available on the ClassWallet portal (www.classwallet.com) on October 15, 2020.
- All purchases must be made using the ClassWallet portal by purchasing from vendors in the ClassWallet marketplace. Items that are not available from any ClassWallet Marketplace vendor may be purchased through Amazon. These purchases must be made through a special procedure. Please contact your Bookkeeper for instructions. The ClassWallet portal retains all itemized receipts for purchases.
- All purchases made through the ClassWallet portal must be made in compliance with the State of Alabama Code 16-1-8.1 regarding classroom instructional support. “Monies allocated for classroom instructional support may be spent for classroom instructional support purposes only, to be used either by classroom teachers or students in each teacher’s respective classes. It shall be permissible to expend these monies on instructional equipment and electrical equipment which is actually utilized with students in the teacher’s classroom.”
- FY 2020-2021 Classroom instructional supply funds will be available to spend on the ClassWallet portal between October 15, 2020 and April 30, 2021. Please ensure that all funds are spent by April 30, 2021. No order can be placed after this deadline so order early!
- Employees who expend classroom instructional supply funds on anything other than instructional, classroom, or technology-related materials or supplies that directly benefit the students are subject to the following actions, at the discretion of the Principal and/or Superintendent:
a) Immediate payment of any personal or unauthorized purchases; b) Reduction or elimination of the dollar amount of classroom instructional supply funds in future school year(s); c) Written conference documentation placed in the employee’s personnel file; d) Suspension; e) Termination; and/or f) The pursuit of criminal charges.
- Transfer with Teacher not allowed According to Section 16-1-8.1 paragraph 10, items purchased with classroom instructional supply funds must remain in the school. If transferred to a different school, teachers must not take the items purchased with these funds to the new school. The same rule applies if a teacher moves out of district. All items purchased with classroom instructional supply funds must remain at the school where the teacher was assigned.